1. －Why didn't you answer the phone this afternoon？
－We didn't hear it. I was in the garden and Mum __________ a shower.
[ A ] has had [ B ] had
[ C ] had been having [ D ] was having
2. Laura had a good reason __________ to class yesterday.
[ A ] for not going [ B ] to not go
[ C ] for going not [ D ] to go not
3. The further away you go out from the city, __________ are the scenes.
[ A ] the much attractive [ B ] the attractive
[ C ] the most attractive [ D ] the more attractive
4. We don't have much time __________ ； I will end my lecture in minute.
[ A ] remained [ B ] left
[ C ] kept [ D ] found
5. －Where is my blue shirt？
－It's in the washing machine. You have to wear __________ different shirt.
[ A ] any [ B ] other
[ C ] a [ D ] the
6. You look tired； you __________ have stayed up late last night.
[ A ] must [ B ] should
[ C ] would [ D ] may
7. I don't think you two know each other, __________ ？
[ A ] do you [ B ] don't you
[ C ]do I [ D ] don't I
8. People in this town __________ of a possible storm, and they're preparing for it.
[ A ] would be warned [ B ] will be warned
[ C ] had been warned [ D ] have been warned
9. David had been there for nearly an hour. He didn't know __________ to wait or go home.
[ A ] if [ B ] neither
[ C ] whether [ D ] either
10 What's done is done. It's no use __________ anyone for it.
[ A ] blaming [ B ] blame
[ C ] to blame [ D ] to be blaming
11 Customers are found to be more satisfied __________ the quality of the goods than their
[ A ] about [ B ] at
[ C ] by [ D ] with
12. －What textbooks shall we use for the Japanese students？
－That is another question __________ we'll discuss later.
[ A ] what [ B ] about which
[ C ] on that [ D ] which
13. Since the middle of this century __________ has been learned about space than in all human history before that time.
[ A ] more [ B ] much
[ C ] better [ D ] a lot
14. After recovering from his illness, he was very anxious to __________ his work.
[ A ] get down [ B ] get through
[ C ] get back to [ D ] get along with
15. I checked all my answers __________ my teacher had suggested.
[ A ] as to [ B ] as
[ C ] that [ D ] such
" $ 160 for a parking ticket！ I'm calling city hall about this. There must be some mistake."Nick thought 16 "Yes, sir, there is a mistake," said the man at the city hall, " 17 I'm afraid the mitake's 18 This ticket was for $ 20. However, the fine doubles every thirty days. It has been 90 days, so the 19 is now $ 160. You will have to pay that. " Nick had the $ 20 and he 20 to pay the fine. But for some reason the ticket had gotten 21 in his pile of papers and unopened letters.
Nick has always been a 22 person. In the past six months, he had 23 to pay his elec- t